Wednesday, January 15, 2014

1 John 4:20

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. (1 John 4:20 NIV)

I think God literally slapped me across the face with this verse. The other morning when I woke up and read this as the verse of the day, it spoke very deeply to me and the way I've been feeling about certain situations lately. As if this verse didn't wreck me to my core, the following morning I read this: 

And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister. (1 John 4:21 NIV)

I've been struggling with worrying too much about other people rather than worrying about who I CAN control: ME! Another reason this verse really struck me is the ministry work I have come to love. It's so easy to meet someone on the street and feel sorry for them, pray for them, and honestly accept them as another brother or sister in Christ no matter their past. How is it that I can completely serve God through serving a complete stranger minding no business to how they ended up where they did, but I can't extend that same kind of love and grace to the people I know and even the people I love? Why can I give grace to the complete stranger, but hold a grudge against someone I should love no matter what? 

This has been a struggle for me for the past few years, actually. One of my greatest qualities is that I care about people, but it's also been one of my greatest faults! I will often put others issues above my own and worry about their choices, their mistakes, and everything else that I honestly have absolutely no control over.

There's so much going on around my life right now that I am going to truly heed God's word and make sure I live out these verses. I might not be able to control other people, but I can control my behavior and how I accept my brothers and sisters in Christ. Even when people are making bad choices and even hurting me inadvertently or intentionally, I have to remember they are in process and still on God's team. NONE of us deserve God's love and grace, but he extends it anyway. I will work harder to remember that God has an awesome plan for our lives even through the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment