Saturday, August 18, 2012

Toxic Thoughts

I'm a worry wart. I hate being a worry wart. I hate with every inch of my being that I waste time doing something that gets me nowhere. Why is it that I can spend so much time on these toxic thoughts which lead to worry, guilt, anger, sadness, and all the deep dark places my soul doesn't want to go?

Unfortunately there's a little, and I stress little, guy down below us who is the king of toxic and incapacitating thoughts. That's right. The devil puts all these toxic thoughts in our head and we become a brainwashed fool by these thoughts. Instead of reading and living out God's word, we spend our time on "what ifs" and doubt. God is so much bigger than any situation, any demon, and anything the devil can throw at us. Why do I minimize God and his capabilities? Each time I let these toxic thoughts enter and make residence in my head, the devil is lighting up another point on his scoreboard.

I just, and i mean just like 30 minutes ago, started a "soul detox" reading plan on my Youversion Bible app. If you couldn't guess, te first topic is toxic thoughts. Okay. Here's where it gets real. Here's why when someone asks me why I'm a Christian I can say wholeheartedly because Ive talked with God, I've experienced the intimate relationship with my savior like you would talk to any good friend. I say this because even though I can't look my God in the face, I know he's got my back. He pops up everywhere and speaks to me in such a subtle but huge way. It couldn't be any truer than tonight.

So without divulging too much of my personal personal life lets just say I've been having some "toxic thoughts" on several subjects for a while now. These thoughts are very distinct in 2 areas of my life that are really bringing a lot of negative into my life. So tonight I'm thinking one toxic thing after another. I'm at a loss for anything positive, really. I've been in such a rotten mood I don't want to be nice or even pretend to be. I hate feeling this hold on myself so I go to my Bible app and start reading. I then start playing around on the app beyond just looking up verses or specific chapters. I see there's all kinds of reading plans. That's when I come across the detox plan. Sounds great, right? I know I need a cleansing because my outward faith and my personal faith aren't matching, I've had all these negative thoughts, excetera. Oh my gosh! God is a sneaky fella I tell ya! The very first day of the detox reading plan is "toxic thoughts!" okay. This is not a coincedence my friends. God! I just felt like the thoughts were being sucked away into a big vacuum somewhere out in space. My head turned from anger, guilt, and sadness to a conversation with an old friend. How amazing is God? He knew right then which plan for me to choose and what lesson I needed right then and there.

I made a special little pact with myself. Toxic thoughts will not enter my head. They are not welcome to hang up their coat and reside in my head. They will smoothly and swiftly be kicked out of my dwelling. I am turning a new leaf. If I want to spread Christ's love with people, it starts with my inner being. I have to rid these toxic thoughts from my head and focus on Christ's love for me and my blessings God has so graciously given me. I am going to pray on several scriptures to help me successfully rid my mind and soul of toxic thoughts.

 Thank you God for speaking so loud and clear to me tonight. When I fail to do your will, you swoop in to save me. Please help me to not let my brain fall captive to toxic thoughts because our thoughts become our words and our words become our actions. God please help me to share your love and grace with my family, friends, coworkers, acquaintances, and each person you put in my path. Thank you for the guidance and love. Your grace will never seize to amaze me. Help me to grow in faith and share that with others. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... This made me tear up. We have ALL been there in a toxic situation and sadly many ppl stay toxic and become consumed by negative thoughts that destroy you in so many ways. Faith begins to weaken marriages become back-to-back friendships destroyed- all because as humans we are too stubborn and controlling to let go and allow all things to be given to God. I'm so proud of you for taking control by giving God the reigns- if it's not perfect, He's not done :) I am here for you girl, always a phone call/text away. Praying for you and yours, love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story of God's amazing grace. He is always on time, and this for sure was no coincidence, but a "God-incidence" (as I heard this referred to once). Beautiful how He steps in when He sees our needs and guides us back to where we need to be. Course corrects us! Interesting that I read your blog about thoughts today. This morning I was listening to 105.7 KHCB and Pastor Charles Stanley was teaching about getting rid of negative thoughts. He had some beautiful suggestions
    that He is sharing this week. He comes on at 6am. God bless you and keep you. So nice to have met you this year!
    RE

    ReplyDelete